Sunday, August 21, 2011

Living STRONG

This weekend P and I were given the opportunity to volunteer at the First Descents tent at the Philly LiveSTRONG Challenge.  

You know, the Universe works in beautiful ways: this weekend marked one year since I started chemotherapy pre-transplant. One year ago, I was sick as a dog and laying in a hospital being pumped with poinson. I was unsure of my life in the short-term, but never imagined that P and I would be here one year later. This weekend we were smiling, laughing, and soaking in the sun (OK, not really, I was in a tent I PROMISE DR.PORTER!) and savoring this life. It was and honor to be representing First Descents and even better to do it at LiveSTRONG Challenge, surrounded by strong and inspiring survivors and supporters.

 I will not lie here, I am a huge fan of Lance Armstrong and the LiveSTRONG Foundation. His book, It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life is one of the only cancer-y books that really, DEEPLY spoke to me (no pun intended). Seeing him today, in person, ON HIS BIKE, was an experience to cross off my bucket list.  Also, please check out Movember, a moustache growing charity event held during November each year that raises funds and awareness for men's health. We spent the weekend next to these fellows and what they do is so, so important.


Setting up!



Another FD camper, Dobo, stopped by after running the 10k. Great to meet you, Dobo!


First Descents Tent

Was so proud to have a yellow Survivor card to wear

Lance Armstrong addressing attendees and racers before the 100 Mile race start.
100 Milers

Lance, kicking things off.

Ominous clouds rolled in, bringing thunder and lightening and ending the event a few hours early.

Monday morning, Montreal will be laid to rest. Tonight I pray that his family finds comfort. My heart will be in Texas tomorrow.

Much love, friends.

1 comment:

  1. You look beautiful! :) What an amazing experience for you!

    ReplyDelete