Monday, July 11, 2011

Didn't like the movie Groundhog Day...

Errr, hi.

Sorry, life, it seems, is really getting in the way of being sick these days. Instead of finishing posts here and sharing my nonsense with you, I've been out doing any number of things. Hanging in the Poconos, playing arcade games (remind me to tell you that I lose my BLOODY MIND over arcade games), buying rock climbing shoes,  rock climbing (oh yes, ROCK CLIMBING), hiking, taking belly dance, playing piano, squeezin' harmonium, going to baseball games, going to the movies (go see Horrible Bosses and Bad Teacher, like, now), going back to my classroom (HOORAY!!!) and generally having a damn good time.

Seems today, though, that the sick has crept back in. Now, I don't really want this to be a place of all "waaaah I had a crazy extreme thing happen to my body less than a year ago" BUT...well. That.

Remember that time I peed my bed in my fucking sleep? Yeah. Me too. Let's just say, for the sake of transparency, that I had to buy fucking Poise pads, start ANOTHER antibiotic and get a new Rx for Pyridium today. I'm over here praying to all things white cotton and holy that this is a simple UTI and not that motherhumping virus again. Bill Murray, keep your damn groundhog day. (In other news, how many people can say that they've written about Poise pads, wizzing the bed and Bill Murray in one paragraph? Methinks not many!)

Bonus fun: While rock climbing is effing baller fun, FD was AMAZING and I've been drooling over real estate in CO, this new little addiction has done one hell of a number on my toes. They're all red and swollen and ouchy, having never really healed correctly from when my feet swelled up inside of my rented climbing shoes at FD and then I climbed on them for like, five days.  It ain't pretty. Tomorrow, I get to visit a podiatrist first the first time in my life who also happens to be the first doctor in recent memory to make me wait more than 48 hours for an appointment (2 weeks. 2 WEEKS). I better be a foot model for Sally Hansen after this jawn.

Anyway. Sorry for the complain-fest, I'm just a bit miffed at feeling crappy again. Call me spoiled. Aside from being painful, these banged up feet have been keeping me from reasonably practicing yoga (not counting handstands, those don't hurt my toes!), most importantly my Sun Salutations. At the moment I'm stuck at just under 200 (192 to be precise) so I need these toes fixed fast!!  I would like to share, however, that I am crazy excited that my fellow FDer Rockstar Sissy has joined Team FD 1,000 Sun Salutations along with my good friend and partner in elementary education-related crime, Julie! So much gratitude you two:)! OH, have I mentioned that we have broken the $1,000 mark? 'Cause we have! Which means that there is a survivor or fighter that gets to attend a camp now!!!!! Only through the extreme generosity of donors can these programs exist, and this program is so, so special. A huge burst of love and gratitude to our donors for supporting us. We're not done yet! Maybe TWO campers can go....:)

Although I'm extremely pissed off (no pun intended) about being icky sicky again, there is one thing that happened today that I don't mind repeating over and over again. Today was P and my second wedding anniversary. He has been here with me through absolute hell. Loving, gentle, steadfast. Absolutely fulfilling his vows. He has told me I'm beautiful with no hair and tubes hanging out of my GvHD-ed body. He's endured countless flights back and fourth, weeks apart and alone, all of the same stresses and strains the I've been through. In many ways, much more. Without him this past unbearable year would have been impossible. He brings love, so much love, that it almost aches.  It is hard to believe that two years ago tonight we were married, kicking up our heels in the summer air with our nearest and dearest. Eight years ago he took me to my prom (we weren't dating...yet) at a hotel in the city, two years ago we spent our wedding night there, last night he brought me back and it was perfect. That was just the beginning of so many treasured memories, we have a lot of living yet to do, my love.

I love you, Phil. Now and always.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! :) I hope that you are feeling better soon! Always praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I got choked up there at the end! I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again....HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

    Woohoo, $1,000!! New goal? $2,000! So excited to be a part of the team and to get an elementary-related shout out! =)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Laura, My name is Liz and I came across your blog a little while back. First, happy anniversary!I am pretty impressed by how positive and active you are. It is great to see, and puts faith in people in a similar situation, that they will be able to do the same soon. Nature is cruel sometimes, but it's also kind eventually and if you make a good balance with it you can battle the cruelness and win. I think that First Descents is a good example of that.
    That said, since your blog is a great resource for someone going through cancer I wanted to reach out to you to see if you were interested in a new online social support network (that I am the community manager of!) called I Had Cancer. It is a new and free social support network focused on connecting people based on experiences with cancer so that they can easily communicate with one another and share information. I would love to tell you more if you are interested, so please let me know! Because I was so struck by your writing I would love to send you an early-access pass with extra invites for others you may know going through this journey.

    Either way, thank you so much for your writing. Take care and best regards.
    -Liz Belilovskaya
    Liz@ihadcancer.com

    ReplyDelete