So, by around this time tomorrow, Day 13 post transplant........
they're DISCHARGING ME!!!!! Wahooooo!
For the last two days my blood counts have been creeping up, which is a VERY good thing in this circumstance, indicating that....ladies and gentleman....WE HAVE ENGRAFTMENT! This means that those blessed little donor cells have started to grow in my bones, they are hangin' out with my left over cells for the moment, and have begun churning out brand spanking new cells. My WBC (white cells) shot up literally overnight, meaning that I'm a less of a risk of infection, so it's safe for them to let me go. Those little white cells have also done their job by almost wiping out that horrendous pain I was in. Like, overnight. Amazing.
Tomorrow morning the IV team will pay me a visit to change my CVC from a triple lumen to a double lumen (which is funny because I've only had two functioning lumens since transplant day) and then, as long as I don't have any fevers or rashes (and I'll try not to), Mom and Phil will be taking my bald self OUTTA HERE.
About 70 percent of me is totally thrilled that this has gone so well, and the other 30 percent is scared shitless. Completely shitless. Now starts the super scary part where Laura becomes a complete germaphobe/ gvhd watchdog for the next 88 days BUT I will be a well-rested germaphobe. Lemme just tell you, these folks have not let me sleep through the night for the last 19 nights. Midnight vitals and weight, 4 am vitals and weight, 5 am blood draw, 6 or 7 am resident visit (word to the wise, residents: you do NOT need to turn on every light in the room to ask me if I've gone to the bathroom. my answer will be the same in the dark), 8 am vitals, 9 am meds, 10 am rounds...= sleepy Laura. It is going to be so, so sweet to finally curl up with the hubs in the same bed after nearly a month. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times (and meant it!): it's the small things that matter and sustain:)
At the moment, Mom and Phil are busy preparing to bust me out, renting a car, cleaning the apartment, changing air filters, all of those loving things they are so amazing for doing. Thanks Mom and Phil, I love you guys:)
Until tomorrow, when I get to smell FRESH AIR AGAIN, Much Love Philly (and beyond), thank you for everything!!!!